Saturday, December 1, 2012

Restaurant Review: Amla

Indian food has always been problematic in my family. My father and sister have a higher tolerance for spiciness than I do, my mother's tolerance is much lower than any of us, and that's before we even get into the problems with specific foodstuffs. As such, it tends to be very difficult to find an Indian restaurant that has enough dishes for everyone to get something that they can eat. However, there is a bright spot on the horizon. Earlier this year a new Indian restaurant opened up right in my neighborhood that offers perhaps a wider array of delicious delicacies than any other eatery we've ever come across.

Built in the same space as a previous Indian restaurant, Amla is different from many similar establishments. When I stopped to look at the menu, I noticed that there were a greater number of vegetarian dishes than the two other major restaurants in the area ("Indian Cafe" and "Indus Valley"). Upon further examination, I decided that this establishment dealt with, at least to a degree, more with foods from the south of India, which has a strong vegetarian tradition. Meats and seafood are on offer as well, along with multiple breads and various rice dishes.
The decor and atmosphere in the restaurant is equally innovative. Warm colors of gold, orange and brown surround the diners; the metal wall sconces are shaped like twisting stems with cut-glass flowers as shades for the light bulbs; Indian music plays softly from multiple speakers; and best of all, the service is impeccable. The only major flaw of the place is their desserts; I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but nearly all of the desserts were dairy-based/made with condensed milk, usually with some other minor element that served as flavoring.


All things considered, Amla is most certainly a worthy addition to the restaurant scene in my neighborhood, and my family and I certainly plan on returning in the future. Based on our experience, the cost was roughly $25 per person, so if you're willing to go for it, I would highly recommend you plan your next date or gathering at this remarkable Indian eatery.

AMLA | NEW YORK'S FINEST INDIAN CUISINE 

No comments:

Post a Comment