Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Book Review: The Hunger Games


Two issues, one cultural, one technological, led me to this book. Ever since The Hunger Games film was released earlier this year, it has been a blockbuster success and pop culture phenomenon. Naturally, I was intrigued by it, but was always indecisive about seeing the movie. In addition, a member of my social group had read the book and said that, although the story itself wasn't bad, the writing and certain aspects of the plot just didn't seem logical.

The technological issue runs a little bit deeper. For a long while now, I have heard about, and been involved in, the debates between traditional literature formats and the rapid rise of e-readers (Kindle, Nook, iPad, take your pick). I'd long been reluctant to try my mother's kindle (I just didn't think I'd get the same feeling as actually holding a book in my hands), but when a friend loaned her the first volume of Suzanne Collins' trilogy, I figured "why not?", and finally took the plunge into e-reading.

As a book, The Hunger Games was not exactly groundbreaking, but certainly not the worst thing I've ever read. In a dystopian future United States, 24 young men and women are chosen by annual lottery to compete in "The Hunger Games" (basically, they are made to fight to the death on national television and the winner gets honored with lifetime wealth and glory) as punishment for a past rebellion against the government. One of this year's competitors, Katniss Everdeen, however, is unlike any previous tribute and gives the country a show they'll never forget.

A few aspects of the book make it noteworthy in spite of its somewhat cliche plot line. First and foremost, the story is told in first person from the perspective of Ms. Everdeen, so the entire plot is almost like a psychological analysis of this one main character in relation to her surrounding environment. I've read first person narratives before, but this focused so specifically and intensely on Katniss' thoughts and emotions that it seemed like you were literally seeing the world through her eyes.

Another intriguing feature of the book dealt with themes of tyrannical government and propaganda. While the Capitol city has more food and luxury than it knows what to do with, many people in the districts (and Katniss' district in particular) are on the brink of starvation and living in squalor and poverty. Also, the games themselves serve as a reminder to the people that the government has absolute power and can take away their freedom and their lives at will. As a history buff, these themes really stuck with me and, although heavily caricatured  and "cartoon-ized", could serve as a mirror for dozens of totalitarian and oppressive regimes the world over.

Collins also does an excellent job describing the imagery of the various items, characters, locations and events throughout the story and linking them to the views of Katniss Everdeen. To put it simply, the book contains more than its share of colorful moments.

At this point, I'm still a little unsure about seeing movie, but regardless, I am interested in looking at the second and possibly third book in the trilogy, as the first volume left off on rather a curious high note.

CHECK OUT MY COMPARISON TO THE FEATURE FILM

1 comment:

  1. I read the book, just before I saw the movie. I like the book better. But the movie wasn't bad.

    ReplyDelete