Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Movie Review: Jodhaa Akbar


I first came across this movie as part of a recommendation list on my Netflix account. It captured my attention but I was never overly inclined to see it. Now, however, after immersing myself in Alex Rutherford's spellbinding historical fiction series Empire of the Moghul, I finally decided to try this movie, and I was completely blown away.

The film showcases the early reign of Akbar the Great, the third emperor of the 16th century Moghul Dynasty of India. Descended from a Muslim tribal clan in Central Asia, Akbar was famous for promoting religious tolerance within the boundaries of his empire, and this shines through in the film. This inclusionist policy earns him friends and enemies, both in neighboring provinces and within his oun court and family.

The other leading face in the film is Jodhaa, princess of the Indian region of Rajasthan, played by Bollywood legend Aishwarya Rai. Although promised to Akbar in marriage to gain an alliance, the vivacious and headstrong Hindu proves more than a match for the Muslim emperor, and in time their marriage blossoms into a true romance.

Although some features do deviate from the historical record (based on my own knowledge and reviews posted by other Netflix viewers), a powerful love story set against a background of political intrigue and family drama, coupled with some classic Bollywood song-and-dance routines, combine to create perhaps to most moving and dramatic foreign film I have ever seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment