Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Past its Prime or Simply Outdated?



It may be one of the longest-running shows in television history, but the fan ratings for "The Simpsons" certainly have not been consistent over that period of time. Although many consider it a classic, for the past several years I have been hearing complaints from many people that the newer episodes have lost their charm.

In some cases, these claims have support (I don't like some of the recent episodes myself), but for a while I have been plagued by a question; what exactly is meant by "new" episodes? Is there a specific point or season where the episodes started to go downhill? Is this point easily noticeable? Does everyone agree on it? Before judging the quality of current episodes, I think that all critics should ponder and be able to answer these queries.

For my part, I think the answer is relatively simple. When it premiered in the early 1990's, "The Simpsons"was a television revolution. Nothing like it had been seen before. In the intervening years, however, the ideas, characters and themes have been copied and parodied so many times that the style has become firmly ingrained in everyday imagination. The original premise no longer impresses viewers. Perhaps some past generations who grew up with the original episodes have matured and simply feel dissappointed?

In any case, I am confident that "The Simpsons" will remain an entertainment icon for years to come. So Mr. Groening, keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment