Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Movie Review: Marco Polo


I first came upon this film without the faintest idea of the brilliance in store. It was August 8th 2008, mere hours before the opening ceremony for the Beijing Olympics was set to begin. I was browsing the "Free Movies on Demand" channel with my father and this title came up. Interested, we set it to play, and I was awed as I rarely have been in my entire life.

The film chronicles the incredible story of the Venetian trader who, at barely twenty years of age, traversed practically the entire breadth of the Asian continent and spent over a decade in service of the legendary Mongol emperor of China, Kublai Khan. Facing danger at every turn, both inside and outside the confines of the palace, young Marco saw wonders that most other Europeans would not behold for centuries and wrote perhaps the world's most famous travel guide, which (according to the ending scene of the film) has never been out of print since its first publication nearly 800 years ago.

In films like this, the issue of historical accuracy is always a prominent one. I don't claim to be an expert on the period, yet I had my doubts about certain aspects portrayed in the film; some seemed to have been created merely as romanticizing elements to further the story, yet others have proven, based on my recent research and observations, to be surprisingly correct. Regardless of specific inaccuracies, one thing the film did exceptionally well was show the contrasts between Europe and China (culturally, technologically and intellectually) which, at this time (13th century), were very significant.

The film was not big on special effects by any means (if anything there was a noticeable lack of them), but that was hardly an issue. I did have some qualms-perhaps not initially but after wards- about the casting choices (namely Ian Somerhalder and Brian Dennehy, an American and Irishman, respectively, playing famous Italian and Chinese historical figures), but lavish sets, costumes and cinematography, coupled with dramatic storytelling and fascinating characters affected me in ways that few other movies ever have. So much so, that I re-watched the movie about a dozen more times over the following two weeks and got my hands on the DVD (which contained a lot of extra footage) at the first opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment